February 2, 2021
This bulletin is to advise retail liquor store licensees that a comprehensive review of the Retail Liquor Store Handbook was recently undertaken in support of government’s red tape reduction initiative and to ease regulatory requirements for retail liquor store licensees. As a result of this review, a number of policy amendments were approved. Highlights of the amendments include:
- eliminating duplication with the Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Act and Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Regulation in sections 1.8, 3.2, 4.1 and 4.2;
- eliminating duplication with other sections of the handbook in sections 3.2, 3.3, 4.6, 5.2 and 6.1;
- eliminating duplication with the Liquor Agency Handbook (LAH) by removing sections 7.6 and 7.7;
- removing the minimum 1,000 sq. ft. size requirement for stores located in Edmonton and Calgary (3.2);
- removing requirements in the Store Name and Signs section (3.3);
- updating the Delivery Service section (4.11); and
- removing restrictions on the type of trade shows liquor stores may participate in (section 6.6); and
- removing conditions on dispensing systems for tastings (section 4.10).
The revised Retail Liquor Store Handbook may be accessed on AGLC’s website at aglc.ca. For a complete listing of AGLC’s modernization efforts, please visit aglc.ca/modernization.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact AGLC’s Compliance Branch at email@example.com.