To work in Alberta’s cannabis industry you must be an AGLC approved Qualified Cannabis Worker (QCW) by completing the following:

      1. Complete SellSafe Cannabis Staff Training; AND
      2. Complete QCW application package and submit to AGLC (further information below).

All QCW application forms must include a current, original criminal record check and must be provided the by the RCMP or other local police agency. AGLC will not accept third-party criminal record checks. Photocopies or scanned documents will not be accepted.

NOTE: Processing time for applications received by AGLC is 2-4 weeks.

Complete AGLC SellSafe Cannabis Staff Training program online

Licensed cannabis store employees require SellSafe certification to understand how to responsibly sell legal, recreational cannabis.

SellSafe is an online certification program, offered through AGLC's Smart Training Program. You are required to have this certification if you work full-time or part-time in a licensed retail cannabis store as a:

  • premises owner, manager, supervisor, retailer or cashier;
  • security staff person (directly employed or contracted by the licensee); and
  • direct supervisor or employee of a company contracted to provide security. 

SellSafe helps staff understand their responsibilities to their customers. The program also helps workers understand what Alberta’s cannabis laws and AGLC’s policies are so they can follow them. These rules are in place to help protect people working in the cannabis industry, their property, their customers and the public from cannabis-related harms.

You must have SellSafe certification before applying to AGLC to be a Qualified Cannabis Worker.

Apply to be a Qualified Cannabis Worker

After you complete SellSafe Cannabis Staff Training, submit the following to AGLC: 

Qualified Cannabis Worker Application

You must meet QCW requirements if you are, or intend to be, a:

  • Retail cannabis worker (someone who works in a retail cannabis store, including contracted security and security supervisors)
  • Retail cannabis licensee (the cannabis store licensee who manages, supervises or works in the store)

If you are a first-time applicant, include the following documents with your application:

1. Identification:

  • If you were born in Canada, provide a copy of your birth certificate, Canadian passport or Indian status card.
  • If you were not born in Canada, provide a copy of Certificate of Canadian Citizenship or immigration documents such as a permanent resident card, landed immigrant document or current work/study permit.

2. An original, unaltered criminal records check from a local police service dated within the last three months.

AGLC does not cover the cost of criminal records checks. A criminal records check is not required if you have already completed the Personal Disclosure Cannabis Retailer.

Return the completed package to: 

AGLC Gaming Registrations
50 Corriveau Avenue
St. Albert AB, Canada T8N 3T5