AGLC’s Mandate is defined in the Mandate and Roles Document (MRD) in accordance with the Alberta Public Agencies Governance Act. The MRD outlines the roles and responsibilities of the Minister and AGLC and enhances the exchange of information and communication between both parties. The MRD also outlines the Minister’s expectations of AGLC, including performance requirements.
As outlined in the MRD, AGLC is responsible for the administration of Alberta’s gaming, liquor and cannabis laws and does so by:
- administering the Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Act;
- conducting and managing provincial lotteries for the Government of Alberta
- maintaining the accountability of Alberta’s gaming activities
- managing the liquor and cannabis supply chains in Alberta
- generating revenue for the Government of Alberta
- ensuring integrity and social responsibility in the operation of gaming, liquor and cannabis activities
The board may create committees when necessary or appropriate. These committees are made up of board members and are assigned particular duties to assist the board in carrying out governance responsibilities. Currently, the board has three standing committees.
- Audit & Finance Committee: The committee provides oversight of AGLC's governance, risk management, internal control practices, financial performance and business planning.
- Governance & Human Resources Committee: The committee ensures Board governance policies and procedures are in place to support a well-functioning and progressive governance system. Additionally, the committee supports the board member recruitment process, facilitates the president & chief executive officer's performance evaluation and ensures succession planning is in place for the organization.
- Business Development & Policy Committee: The Committee reviews gaming, liquor and cannabis policies and monitors regulatory activities supporting a culture of red tape reductions and customer-centricity. The Committee also considers business development and economic growth opportunities, including gaming licence decisions.
- Mandate and Roles Document
- Board Code of Conduct and Ethics
- Board Terms of Reference
- Audit & Finance Terms of Reference
- Governance & HR Terms of Reference
- Business Development Policy Committee Terms of Reference