Fifty-two Calgary bars, clubs, pubs, lounges and casinos received 2015 Best Bar None accreditation for their commitment to high customer service and safety standards.
The 4th annual Best Bar None Calgary Awards Night on June 15th at the Telus Spark also recognized venues that demonstrate outstanding commitment to fun and safe drinking environments.
This year’s winners include:
- Bar/Lounge: Loco Lou’s Grill and Bar
- Hotel/Restaurant Lounge: Jetz Bar and Lounge Best Western Port O’ Call Hotel
- Pub: Bottlescrew Bill’s Pub
- Large Pub: Hudsons Canadian Tap House (Shawnessy)
- Club: Ranchman’s Cookhouse and DanceHall
- Casino: Casino Bar at Cash Casino
- Campus Pub: The Den & Black Lounge (University of Calgary)
“Congratulations to all the winners and accredited venues who continue to make a positive difference to Calgary’s nightlife,” said Bill Robinson, President and Chief Executive Officer, Alberta Gaming, Liquor & Cannabis (AGLC).
“AGLC is proud to work with industry and our partners in growing Best Bar None to show patrons our joint commitment to safety and responsible customer service.”
The number of Best Bar None accredited venues in Calgary went up from 33 to 52 this year. Accreditation criteria cover a wide range of issues that well-managed premises should be aware of and address.
As part of the accreditation process, all premises are assessed on a yearly basis to ensure they meet the specific standards related to safe operations and responsible management.
“These awards are proof that by paying attention to the safety and well-being of your employees and patrons, you can substantially improve productivity and performance, while decreasing problems that are indicative to the alcohol service industry,” said Marc Halat, Manager of Compliance Services, City of Calgary.
“The Best Bar None program helps make the city’s nightlife safer and more enjoyable.”
“The Calgary Police Service would like to thank each one of these organizations for helping to build a safer community through their involvement with Best Bar None,” said Superintendent Kevan Stuart, Calgary Police Service. “Together these establishments are raising industry standards and assisting us to appropriately address community concerns.”
Best Bar None is an accreditation and awards program for liquor-licensed venues that aims to reduce alcohol-related problems by:
- encouraging nightspots to adopt best practices related to customer safety and responsible levels of alcohol
- giving nightspots the tools to be better prepared for any violent incidents
- building positive relationships between the industry, enforcement, agencies, government and community.
Calgarians can determine if a venue is Best Bar None accredited by a plaque and door signage on display within the premises informing patrons and area residents of their participation in the program.
Best Bar None is a partnership between the Alberta Gaming, Liquor & Cannabis, the City of Calgary and Calgary Police Service with support from the Alberta Safer Bars Council.