The following information provides requirements of the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Regulation (GLR), as amended from time to time, for workers to qualify to work in a cannabis retail store.
The AGLC will not formally qualify cannabis workers until the Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Regulation (GLCR) comes into force. Retailers who choose to hire staff prior to this do so at their own risk.
To work in Alberta's retail cannabis industry you must be recognized as a Qualified Cannabis Worker (QCW).
You must meet QCW requirements if you are, or intend to be, a:
- Retail cannabis worker (someone who works in a retail cannabis store, including contracted security and security supervisors)
- Retail cannabis licensee (the cannabis store licensee who manages, supervises or works in the store)
- Registered cannabis representative (someone who works for or is contracted by a licensed cannabis supplier to promote the supplier’s products)
The requirements include:
1. Complete the AGLC SellSafe Cannabis Staff Training program online
2. Complete the Application for Qualified Cannabis Worker
The applicant may return the completed package to:
AGLC Gaming Registrations
50 Corriveau Avenue
St. Albert AB, Canada T8N 3T5
First-time applicants must include:
- If you were born in Canada, provide a copy of your birth certificate, Canadian passport or Indian status card.
- If you were not born in Canada, provide a copy of Certificate of Canadian Citizenship or immigration documents such as a permanent resident card, landed immigrant document or current work/study permit.
b) An original, unaltered criminal records check from a local police service dated within the last three months:
- The AGLC does not cover the cost of criminal records checks. A criminal records check is not required if you have already completed the Personal Disclosure Cannabis Retailer (form 8017).