A cannabis representative is a company that markets cannabis products in Alberta.
A federally-licensed cannabis supplier must either register its own company as a cannabis representative or hire a cannabis representative to market cannabis products on its behalf.
To market cannabis in Alberta, a cannabis representative must register with the AGLC.
To register, you must provide the following items:
- Application for Cannabis Representative Registration
- Non-refundable registration fee of $200
- Particulars of Incorporation of Company for the cannabis representative and for each shareholding company
- Particulars of Individual for key persons such as directors, shareholders and officers
- Letter of Authorization printed on cannabis supplier’s letterhead authorizing the cannabis representative to market the supplier’s product(s)
- Acknowledgement and Undertaking to confirm understanding of legal obligations
- Consent to Records Check for:
- a) Directors and officers
- b) Key employees that exercise influence or control over day-to-day operations or decision making
- c) Shareholders that control 10 per cent or more of the company
- Copy of Certificate of Incorporation for the applicant company
The term of registration is two years.
All cannabis representative managers, supervisors and employees that are involved in marketing cannabis products must be a Qualified Cannabis Worker.
The AGLC is responsible for ensuring that relationships among cannabis suppliers, cannabis representatives and cannabis licensees are competitive in nature. Cannabis suppliers or representatives are prohibited from providing any services, items or activities to a cannabis licensee that could directly benefit the licensee. Cannabis licensees are prohibited from requesting any such inducements from cannabis suppliers or representatives. Specific policy on prohibited inducements and benefits can be found under section 6.3 of the Retail Cannabis Store Handbook.
Complete the cannabis representative application package.
The applicant may return the completed package to:
AGLC Liquor/Cannabis Licensing
50 Corriveau Avenue
St. Albert, AB T8N 3T5