The AGLC operates under a Mandate and Roles Document with the Minister responsible for the Gaming and Liquor Act. The document sets out roles and responsibilities, duties, accountability, policy direction, and performance expectations.
The responsibilities of the Board are to:
- establish AGLC policies
- ensure AGLC powers and duties are carried out
- conduct hearings and make decisions for licences and registrations
The Board plays a role in developing policy and advising the Minister on policy matters.
The Board approves the AGLC strategic and business plans, the annual report, annual budgets, and performance measure targets.
The Board ensures that control systems are in place for assessing risk to ensure integrity of financial reports.
The President & CEO provides advice to the Board, and ensures policies are implemented.
The Director of Internal Audit reports to the Board’s Audit Committee and to the AGLC Chief Financial Officer.
The Board functions as an administrative tribunal. The Board conducts hearings and makes decisions on gaming and liquor licences and registrations.
For hearings, the Board has the powers, privileges, and immunities of a commissioner under the Public Inquiries Act. The Board may hold an inquiry into any matter related to the Gaming and Liquor Act.
The Board has established four standing committees:
- Audit Committee
- Finance and IT Committee
- Corporate Governance, Stakeholder and Strategic Planning Committee
- Human Resources Committee
The Audit Committee monitors:
- financial controls, accounting policies, and financial reporting processes
- organizational risk and mitigation actions
- Internal Auditor audit plans
- annual audit plans, internal controls, and audit results with the Office of the Auditor General
Finance and IT Committee
The Finance and IT Committee monitors:
- the budget and external business plan
- the annual budget before recommending it to the Board for approval
- AGLC and Alberta Lottery Fund financial statements
- current and emerging financial issues
- annual technologies, strategic plans, and enterprise architecture reports
Corporate Governance, Stakeholder and
Strategic Planning Committee
The Corporate Governance, Stakeholder and Strategic Planning Committee:
- establishes, monitors and reviews the Board’s corporate governance processes
- establishes procedures for monitoring the relationship of AGLC with its stakeholders
- approves the AGLC’s strategic plan and related business processes
Human Resources Committee
The Human Resources Committee monitors:
- corporate human resource matters
- performance of the President & CEO and Board staff
- public disclosure policy
- assists with recruitment of the President & CEO and Board members, and
- maintains the Board’s competency matrix