The Board of the AGLC has up to seven independent members, including a Chairperson. They are responsible to the Minister of Finance and President of Treasury Board of the Government of Alberta. Board members have term appointments of up to three-years in length (and a maximum of nine-years).
- governs the AGLC under the Gaming and Liquor Act,
- oversees the AGLC's strategic direction and operational policies,
- monitors financial results, and the performance of the President and Chief Executive Officer,
- makes decisions about gaming and liquor licences and registrations,
- conducts hearings related to alleged violations of the Gaming and Liquor Act, Gaming and Liquor Regulation, or AGLC policies.