Warning signs of problem gambling
Most people who choose to gamble do so for fun. However, gambling can become out of control and can cause people difficulties. Much like a dependency on alcohol or other addictions, the need to gamble may overtake an individual’s life.
Problem gambling is treatable. To find out how to get help and make a change or to find an addiction services office near you, call the AHS 24-Hour Helpline at 1-866-332-2322.
you recognize a gambling problem in yourself or someone close to you?
Here are a few warning
signs that may indicate gambling has become a problem:
- Spending longer and longer periods of time gambling
- Placing larger, more frequent bets
- Accumulating debt in order to support any gamble activities
- Arguing about gambling with friends or family
- Pinning hope on the ”big win”
- Feelings of guilt or remorse about gambling
- Involving yourself in illegal activities to obtain money
- Missing work to gamble
- Hiding involvement in gambling activities
For more information,
please visit the Alberta Health Services website.
If you are experiencing
problems with alcohol, gambling, tobacco or other drugs –
AHS can help. Call 1-866-332-2322 for information,
support, and referral or visit https://myhealth.alberta.ca.