Responsible Gambling Features on vlts
Most people who gamble do not experience problems. However, some people do, and the AGLC is committed to encouraging the responsible use of its products.
Responsible use requires knowledge and understanding of what gambling is and how to apply your own strategies to keep it fun. Enhanced Responsible Gaming Features (RGFs) were added to new vlts in 2012/13 and are designed to help players better manage their time and money.
The features include:
- The setting of time limits for play - starting initially with a choice of 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes or 60 minutes. A player may reset the time limit only once and then must cash out.
- A $100 maximum limit for bill insertion.
- The terminal displays balances in dollar amounts to help players keep track of how much money they have wagered. Customers can toggle between credits and the equivalent dollar amount.
- A 12 and 24-hour clock on the screen that helps players be aware of the time spent playing vlts.
- A non-scrolling banner message with the Alberta Health Services (AHS) toll free help-line number and the message “Always! Set a limit. Stay within it."
- The Help Menu includes a button labeled “Responsible Gambling” that leads to a screen with additional information.
These Responsible Gambling Features are one component of the overall plan to encourage players to gamble responsibly. The AGLC continues to work closely with AHS to promote responsible gambling and to address problem gambling treatment and prevention.
If you are experiencing problems with alcohol, gambling, tobacco or other drugs – AHS can help. Call 1-866-332-2322 for information, support or a referral.